As a partial-load professor (teaching 7-12 hours per week), you are a member of the academic bargaining unit and are covered by the Academic Employees Collective Agreement. This agreement extends to all partial-load and full-time faculty throughout all 24 Ontario colleges. The current 3-year collective agreement will expire on September 30, 2017.
As a member of this bargaining unit, you receive the salary, benefits and professional conditions that have been negotiated by the Ontario Public Service Employees’ Union (OPSEU), on your behalf. As such, union dues are automatically deducted from your pay. Even so, you are not a member of our local (Humber Faculty Union) until you have signed your membership card.
Membership into our local is free and comes with many advantages, including allowing you to have a voice during negotiations, and in the event of a strike, eligibility for strike benefits such as strike pay. An electronic membership application form is available here:
- OPSEU Membership Application Form (please fill out all highlighted fields)
Please completed the application form and return it to our office (K216) or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some important links:
- Collective Agreement 2014-2017
- Advantages to signing your membership card
- Benefits Booklet for Partial-Load Faculty (2015)
- Partial-Load Faculty Contract Rights (2016)
- Joining the CAAT Pension Plan (2017)
- List of Local 562 stewards, officers and committee representatives
- Union Basics – OPSEU
Bargaining for a new collective agreement will begin on July 1, 2017. I encourage you to subscribe to our mailing list (private non-Humber email address only) to receive updates and reminders on issues that concern all faculty at Humber College: http://eepurl.com/cmqPGzs
Lastly, I would like to invite you into our office to review your initial salary calculations. One of our officers would be happy to go over the calculation with you, and answer any other questions you may have.
Ways to reach us:
– in person: K216, Humber College north campus
– by phone: 416-675-6622 ext. 4007
– by email: email@example.com (general inquiries)
You can also find more information on issues that concern partial-load faculty on our website at: http://www.opseu562.org/category/members/pl-issues.
We wish you the best of luck at Humber College!
Rev: Sept 28, 2017