Declining meetings during Reading Week
Dear [Associate Dean],
Unfortunately, the Bargaining Team has deemed meetings as struck work during Reading Week. As such, I will not be attending the meeting, as I do not wish to cross the picket line.
Email Auto-Replies during Reading Week
(Pick and adjust points below as needed for what is suitable for you)
College Faculty have been engaged in legal strike action called Work-to-Rule since December 18, 2021.
- I choose to act in solidarity with my fellow union members by limiting my work based on what the Bargaining Team has deemed as struck work. As such, during Reading Week (Feb 28 – March 4), I will have limited availability until my return to work on Monday March 7, 2022.
- As a partial-load (non-full-time) professor, I am unemployed during Reading Week (Feb 28 – March 4). Therefore, I will not be performing any duties related to teaching nor checking my email until my return to work on Monday March 7, 2022.
- My work as a Program Coordinator has been deemed as struck work during Reading Week (Feb 28 – March 4). In other words, I will not be performing my regular coordinator duties during this week.
- Over the Reading Week (Feb 28 – March 4), I will be checking my email twice daily: once in the morning and once in the afternoon. [adjust dates/times as needed]
- I will continue to prioritize my work according to my professional judgement without surpassing my weekly work limit.
- Students: If you have concerns about returning to campus to face to face classes, please contact [Associate Dean].
- Students: For more information on Work to Rule, see Students FAQ.
- We appreciate your patience and your support in our efforts to improve working conditions for Ontario college faculty and the learning conditions of Ontario college students.
- Should you require immediate assistance, please contact [Associate Dean].
Links that you can share:
- Why have faculty rejected CEC’s offer: https://www.collegefaculty.org/2022/01/31/five-reasons-to-reject-the-cecs-forced-offer/
- Student Guide to Work To Rule (FAQ): https://www.opseu562.org/students-work-to-rule
- How students can help: Write to President Whitaker: https://www.opseu562.org/petition-call-the-cec-to-negotiate-a-settlement